For this theme, we read the texts of The Nature of Theory in Information Systems by Gregor, S. (2006) as well as What Theory is Not by Sutton, R. I. & Staw, B. M. (1995).
During the seminar, we discussed the institutional perspective of theory, which I hadn't reflected on earlier. I was focusing more on the question "what is theory" rather than "who can produce/present a theory", but the second question is also highly relevant and worth of giving a thought. In this context, with the concept of 'institution' I mean the academic ground on which the theory is built: the institution that allows the theory to be presented. Whether a theory is presented by a single researcher or a group of them, the theory is considered justified because of their academic background and a credible academic journal. So is anyone allowed to come up with theory and if so, who values the theory? The institution alias the reviewers of the journal? Does theory even have value if not reviewed?
This brings us to the probably most important feature of theory: it doesn't necessarily have to be true or right. Theory can not be valued based on its veracity because if it is well-argued, it's still a theory – even if proven wrong. Ilias mentioned that theory is right until replaced by another one, which is a valid statement. But from where I see it, even then it doesn't stop being a theory, it just wasn't right at the time. That is why we have so many great theories arguing against each other even today, and with the help of dialectics we can manage to see how there is room for all of them.
One could describe theory as a spine for all scientific research. When it comes to credibility of the research, theory has an essential role in that. Like I wrote above, proving the theory wrong doesn't make it any less a theory, but it does indeed have an enormous impact on the final outcome of the study. Scientific studies aim to provide knowledge, which at its most concrete results as changes in behavior. If a nutrition study claims that carbs are bad for you, we'll start avoiding them. If a neurological study proves that having a phone in the pocket near your body causes cancer, we would probably stop putting our phones there.
Sutton and Staw discuss the credibility issue as well and they argue for the importance of empirical evidence when testing a theory:"When theories are particularly interesting or important, there should be greater leeway in terms of empirical support. A small set of interviews, a demonstration experiment, a pilot survey, a bit of archival data may be all that is needed to show why a particular process might be true." As a final statement I would say that theory alone is not much, rather it's the empirical evidence that truly justifies its existence and gives the theory value. Only if we strictly review the term "theory" itself, it gets its legitimacy because of the features that are considered as qualities of a good theory.
Salut,
VastaaPoistaI agree with you on the fact that theory can / might not be true. I wonder however on the point that a false theory ( knowing that this is false) if presented to the scientist committee would receive a good welcoming !
You are raising a very interesting point on the question, who is producing, presenting theory? I think the institution offers a very credible background in your theory. And I believe that if you are a researcher in a university, the university holds a part of your theory's results. They are part of your success in a way, so it would seem normal but sad for the researcher!
Thank you for the reflection
Hi! I found your reflection really engaging. It made me realize some new things I haven't even thought while writing my own reflection. It quite interesting what you talked during your seminar that theory is not the theory anymore when it gets replaces. During the seminar my group got the idea that theory is theory only until it's proven wrong. However, giving more thinking it is so true to say that even if we deny the theory that theory is still a theory, even if it's wrong. Moreover, I do agree with you when you say that theory itself is not much in a research. It has to be proven by experiments or deep observations, it needs clear explanations and empirical value. Thank you for your great text, it is really thoughtful!
VastaaPoistaThanks for your interesting reflection! I especially liked that you discussed how a theory does not stop being a theory just because it is proven wrong. I haven’t thought of it that way but I think you are right. The outcome of a research that is using the wrong theory might however be affected, as well as the credibility of the study. I read some other students reflection who also discussed how a theory is still a theory even when it is proven wrong and that person brought up a recognized example. It was the theory that the Earth is flat. Even though we know today that the Earth is a round sphere, the theory of a flat Earth still exists. Once again, a really interesting reflection that brought up new perspectives for me.
VastaaPoistaInteresting reasoning on the question "Who presents the theory?" and the subsequent one "Who evaluates it?'. The topic of evaluation is quite important as it requires unbiased thinking and the elimination of all the factors that can affect the opinion of the high-ranked magazine's editor or academic peers. Nevertheless, even in such a circumstances, the article with the proven theory may become unpublished for ages (or, as we have been told on the lecture, the magazine recently published similar material and cannot accept another one).
VastaaPoistaLucky the scientists, now they can publish everything online on the special websites.
Kirjoittaja on poistanut tämän kommentin.
VastaaPoistaAlthough I think we concluded in class that theory remains valid after being disproven and you either missed it out attended another seminar that me, I appreciate that you added a discussion on who is behind theory and what/who adds validity to theory. The "messenger" communicating theory is a key factor that sometimes is forgotten. Thanks for bringing it up!
VastaaPoistaNow I don't quite understand this sentence: "I think we concluded in class that theory remains valid after being disproven". Yes, we did, and that is why I argue that theory is still a theory if proven wrong at the time. :) And for the validity, that is why I specifically mention the great theories of time still being relevant today. So I think you misunderstood my point!
PoistaI had also reflected on the idea that we cannot see theory as fact. I had not reflected on your point though, that theory still needs to be well argued and have supporting evidence. I think it is important to make this distinction because if it is not listed as fact, it can be easy to dismiss as false or not important. Yet, as theory must be backed by data and empirical evidence, it still holds an important place in the research community. I think we can build upon old or disproven theories in the future and use them in new research. Therefore, I really liked your point about tying it into dialectic as well.
VastaaPoista