keskiviikko 5. lokakuuta 2016

Theme 4: Reflection

Theme 4 handled quantitative methods in research. This is my reflection after the lecture and reading the chosen article as well as the "IEEE VR 2012 - Drumming in Immersive Virtual Reality" written by Ilias Bergström and colleagues. Unfortunately I was not able to attend the rescheduled seminar for this theme, so I will base my reflections on the lecture and reading.

Before the lecture I knew the basics of quantitative method in research, but perhaps perceived it a bit too strictly as a numeric method and "pure statistics". Now, after processing the subject, I understand the extend and diversity of it as well as the possibilities the method has in science. On the lecture we discussed the nature of quantitative method and how it usually is perceived. The basic idea of quantitative method in science is numerical measurements, and further on statistical observations about the data. One could say that when choosing a quantitative method, we're not actually measuring the object or phenomenon itself but rather the features that it has. The features in turn are measured by using chosen indicators, such as questionnaires or interviews. 

Sometimes there's maybe even an unnecessary confrontation seen between the different kinds of research approaches. It would be more benefitting to see them more as supplementing each other, since you can't catch the true nature of a phenomenon with too strict an approach. That is why quantitative and qualitative method go very much hand in hand – not always is the quantitative method the best option, even though some people tend to say that "numbers don't lie".

As we talked in the lecture, it is not the data that is talking. That is why it's extremely important to know statistics and have a good understanding of them, since the data itself does not bring any value if one doesn't know how to read it. Sometimes we are shown diagrams and bar charts, but they are simply useless without the ability to understand the meaning behind them. This brings us to the important role of researchers who build their theories by arguing the data and even explain the data to the scientific community. Finally, the apprehensive knowledge reaches the great publics and results as changes in behavior. This is where also media has an important role as an "enlightener".

In the process of studying for this theme, I came across an interesting Swedish statistician named Hans Rosling. He's also a medical doctor, an academic and a public speaker. At the latest, the great public got to know him after a Ted Talk about the use of data to explore development issues. The reason why I would like to bring him up in this post is that he is the co-founder and chairman of the Gapminder Foundation, which is a non-profit venture promoting the popularization of science. Its mission statement in short is to increase the understanding of statistics as well as other information about social, economic and environmental development at many levels – locally, nationally and globally.

I find the Gapminder Foundation extremely interesting, since it is trying to find a solution to a problem that I feel is urgent. The ineptitude of understanding the world behind statistics results as false beliefs, which at the most extreme results as very absurd decisions in politics, for example. Just by taking a look to the voters of Brexit or the ongoing presidental elections in the U.S., one could easily argue on behalf of better understanding about the "realities". Of course, in the spirit of questioning absolute truths I'm not saying there is facts even in statistics, but that's the whole point – one would at least know how to question things.

I truly recommend to read more about the venture: https://www.gapminder.org/

Or even take a look at the Ted Talk: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120528-the-best-stats-youve-ever-seen

10 kommenttia:

  1. Hello! Thank you for a great text! Firstly, I highly agree to your statement that "Sometimes we are shown diagrams and bar charts, but they are simply useless without the ability to understand the meaning behind them". Overall it's not the empirical data that makes sense of a research but giving a meaning to it by interpreting. Secondly, thank you so much for sharing information about Gapminder Foundation. What they are doing and what kind of issues they are solving are critical. A fact-based worldview might help people to perceive many things and phenomena that are happening around them. Great job!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hi! Thank you for a great post, just like the comment above, I highly agree with you about the importance of being able to read statistics etc. correctly. It's not always the easiest thing, and even though "numbers don't lie" humans can very much come to the wrong conclusion. It's not the data itself that is important or interesting, it's what researchers do with it, and how it's interpreted. I think Hans Rosling and Gapminder Foundation is very interesting as well, so thank you for bringing him up. I very much liked reading your reflection, great job!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Such a great post, Loviisa!

    Your reflections on the "limitations of numbers" are strikingly accurate. It is first when one learns how to analyse the statistics, that numbers are of interest. Because, as you write, "we're not actually measuring the object or phenomenon itself but rather the features that it has".

    I loved that you brought up Rosling. I went to a lecture of his a couple of years back, and he truly in an original. Even if his approach might be a little bit over optimistic, the Gapminder foundation is indeed interesting (and important!). Because, where would the world end up if we simple swallowed the skewed information that's served to us be the media? Indeed, knowing how to read (and criticize) statistics is important.

    Thanks for a great read!

    VastaaPoista
  4. I thought it was an interesting idea you mentioned when you say we're not actually measuring the object itself but rather the features that it has. I wonder if you believe there is any way to measure the object or is a quantitative realist as good as it gets?
    I would agree that we only measure features and characteristics, but at the same time, it is what makes the object. If we’ve measured enough of it’s features, I think ultimately, we will have a result of the object itself. Especially by adding qualitative methods that can help us understand the relationship between features better.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Loviisa, thanks for an amazing blog post! I've checked the links you've provided and I've got stuck watching TED talks of Hans Rosling - he is awesome! I liked the way he was connecting religion and number of babies in the world, I was sure the religion has been playing an extremely important role in the children-planning decisions but seems that was just a stereotype (let's check it in 40-50 years).
    You brought an interesting point about the quantitative methods that are exploring the 'features' of the phenomena. I also agree with your statement about data that is not talking but the researchers do: the scientists decide how to interpret data (and this often results in the different output in the experiment replication).

    VastaaPoista
  6. It is pedagogic, the way you describe quantitative research with measurement (the method) as central, rather than the data (the object). I also like how you continuously make efforts to incorporate media and its role in your reflections.

    Hans Rosling changed my view from seeing poverty and the world from being overpopulated on a way to disaster into a more positive outlook. He is using statistics in a fantastic way by using simple tools as fruits to illustrate to common people what sometimes seem too big to grasp. Because it is through common people and their (baby)steps that the world can change. Thank you for taking the opportunity to highlight him in this context!

    VastaaPoista
  7. What a great post! You didn’t only show and explain the method of quantitative research, but also offered your opinion about how valuable it can be. I liked that you pointed out the benefit in the supplementing of qualitative and quantitative. That’s most important thought according to me. I agree with you that it is really important to understand statistical data and know how to interpret it - not only for researchers. Many people believe statistics “just because” it looks and sounds trusting, although so many of them are manipulated. When we just take a look at the presidential elections there are so many statistical diagrams published online which all show different outcomes about the same topic. Just like you said, it’s important to understand and question them for everyone.
    Thank you for your thoughts!

    VastaaPoista
  8. Allo,
    I totally agree that qualitative and quantitative should be and are complementary, this is two different approach allowing a better understanding of a situation from two different angle. This makes me thing of substructure and superstructure what you mention. The researchers uses their ability to understand data, understand the meaning behind it, then they explain it and show it to the world through medias, and once the substructure (Here the research on a certain thing) changed it will affect as you say the behaviour on how we perceive this specific research. Takes time.
    You bring some very interesting point at the end of your reflections, the false belief that is brought by so many raw data that the standard human doesn't get at first without the knowledge of the study therefore, it starts with one to misunderstanding it and he will share the false information that will spread like plague.
    Very interesting reflection, thank you

    VastaaPoista
  9. Thank you for an informative blog post! It was very interesting to read about the Gapminder Foundation and the problem it is trying to solve. Understanding statistics is important for journalists and news organisations and how they interpret data for their audiences. It’s a great responsibility and a challenge that can cause a lot of confusion and awkward and downright destructive outcomes, like Brexit. Not to mention that news media is supposed to act as an opposition to politicians and the deliberate "mistakes" they make to serve their own agendas. Overall, I share your understanding of the theme. Thanks!

    VastaaPoista
  10. You have written two great blog posts that make you think. You bring up several interesting aspects! For example when you question that quantative methods always give the right answers. As we discussed in a previous theme, data is not theory and for it to become theory we need someone to analyse and conform the data, and the way of doing that can differ from researcher to researcher which makes quantative data much more objective than one could think. The relations we see and want to see can make big differences.

    VastaaPoista