To be honest, this theme was the one I was most unfamiliar with at the beginning. Since my background is in communication, psychology and economics (and little bit of digital media as well), I had very little knowledge of especially the tech domains in design driven research. However, that is also the reason why this theme felt even more relevant and important to dive in to.
In the beginning of the lecture we got a nice introduction to methods and empirical data in RtD. We are surrounded by design every day in all of its senses, whether it is the inner technological micro systems or surface design. In the center of RtD is the interactive system itself, but the focus is even more in the human aspects around it: interaction between humans and devices. Cognitive abilities, culture, emotions, physical bodies, social behavior and senses all provide a broad ground for research in several fields, all of which are equally needed when trying to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject.
One particularly memorable detail was the rule of 4 D's in RtD: Discover (insight into the problem), Define (the area to focus upon), Develop (potential solutions) and finally Deliver (solutions that work). Another important message from the lecture was the thought that designing systems happens in the context of other systems, such as technical platforms and social systems. So 'design' as a term is so much more than the interface. The concept of design is so wide that each of the dimensions is an extensive area of study in itself. In addition to what I wrote above about the focus on interaction in RtD: then again, with a focus on technology, constructive activities are the core method of investigation.
During the seminar we discussed our discoveries about the subject in relation to our perceptions before the theme. Starting from designing the concept of 'empirical data' we discussed about Lundström's paper "Differentiated Driving Range" and what is the empirical data in that. In that case we reached a consensus of it being the driving range (quantitative data) and further on with the help of Lundström we concluded that empirical data doesn't necessarily have to be experiments, it could have just as easily been interviews or observations. Lundström encouraged us to think all the options it can be instead of settling with one definition. A good reminder was also to remember that collecting empirical data is not yet research, although people often may be confused about it. For example, governmental institutions often gather data and publish statistics, but they are not to be mixed up with scientific research.
As we moved on discussing about the replicability of design research, we had a few interesting thoughts about the effects of historical setting, tools, skills of the researchers etc. on the studies. I had previously maybe a little too black and white perception about research needing to be so objective, that anyone could reproduce it with the knowledge gained from the paper and end up with similar results. At some extent this does indeed apply, when we think one particular study or for example coding of data: the point of several researchers coding same data is to increase the objectivity. However, while we did agree that design driven research is replicable, we also stated that the results are dependent on the current context. By this I mean both the technical development and cultural and social aspects, which always have an impact on the context. Of course one could argue that the same tools can be used and the study can be conducted exactly the same way as the original study guides, but we also discussed the little things that are always left outside of the paper – no matter how carefully one tries to describe the process.
Eventhough you say you were quite unfamiliar with this theme I think your answers were pretty good in the first blog post, but I can see that you gained a lot of insight since then.
VastaaPoistaI really appreciate that you explain what RtD is as well as the 4 D's. Since I wasn't able to go to the lecture it is very interesting for me to read about it, and it seems that you've gotten a good idea about it all.
As yourself, I was unfamiliar to this research method prior to the theme but became enthusiastic whilst learning more.
VastaaPoistaGreat reminder about the 4D:S; "Discover (insight into the problem), Define (the area to focus upon), Develop (potential solutions), Deliver (solutions that work)"
This description even more makes me think that design research many times can be a useful tool to use in business context, also due to the adaptability of design research studies.
Another valuable mention was differentiation of collecting data and performing research.
Good explanation of the 4D in design research - it's a way easier to remember that just reading the plain text.
VastaaPoistaThe more I learn about the research methods, the more doubts I have about their objectiveness. As it's up to the researcher which method to use and what data collect, the outcomes of two similar studies may vary a lot (especially taking into account the historical circumstances and technical developments).
Overall, well-structured post - I have nothing to add or to disagree with.
Yop,
VastaaPoistaVery interesting reflection on the matter, I really like your writing skills, makes the reading faster !
"One could argue" about replicability but I dont think his argument would go very far. Since it's proven that we interact differently with objects over time, therefore if we reproduce 10 years later a study, I dont think we would obtain quite the same result. For example, if we studied the behaviour of people around cigarette in a close space 10 years ago and today, there would be much of a difference even if we have the EXACT SAME way of processing.
As all the other comments above mentioned, I really appreciated the reminder of the 4D! Completely forgot about those and they make the process very clearer.
Thank you for your reflection !
Great post! I liked how you highlighted the 4 D's and their importance. I believe them to clarify lots of the ambiguity that's surrounding RtD. By doing exactly what your doing - describing that design research is "so much more than the interface" - I believe one can reach a fuller understanding of how RtD can contribute with knowledge to the world. And just like you say, it is a wide area to study!
VastaaPoistaI agree with your comments on historical replicability, and feel like if it is perhaps harder than ever to ensure the reliability of a replicated study. In an age of constant technological development, I believe researchers to have an increased responsibility to reflect on their own context and compare it to previous researchers' (and the conclusions they came to).
Thank you for a great post, your reflection was very interesting to read! Just like you this was the theme I was the least familiar with from the beginning, but I found it very interesting! I agree with you that the 4 D's was very memorable, and a great thing to keep in mind! I hadn't heard about that before so it was very interesting!
VastaaPoistaWhat you wrote about empirical data was quite interesting as well, and something I spoke about during the seminar as well. And I agree with you that it doesn't necessarily have to be experiments, it could just as well be the interviews or observations. And that the collection of data is not yet research, data can just be data, it's not worth much until the researcher interprets it. Great job!
Hi,
VastaaPoistaI think you make an important point by saying that design is not only limited to the appearance and functions on the surface, but that they work within systems which put certain demands on them as well. In general, I believe people to have an understanding of design as something rather superficial and commercially dependant, but in design research it is shown how design works in more complex contexts.
I also thought objectivity was always important in research. Therefore, it was intriguing to discuss in the seminar that subjectivity is not necessarily a “dirty word.” There can be some subjectivity or opinion in research. For example, in Fernaus‘s and Tholander’s article about tangible programming space, the design research was motivated by their opinion that children should become more interested in screen-based systems. Perhaps as long as empirical evidence is not skewed or misinterpreted to fit opinion, subjectivity can be useful in fueling design research. We discussed how in design based research, the process involves adjusting and changing until you achieve the results you want to reach, which seems to be a subjective approach.
VastaaPoista